The manual provides an overview of how to setup and use your Machine, including pictures of how to install the Controller Tray and get everything up and running. This below page explains how to setup the PC and basic troubleshooting.
You will also find a manual inside the X-Arcade Tankstick box which shipped on the Machine. That will explain the basic controls of the X-Arcade. If you plan on using Playstation 2 (Select Models Only) get help with Playstation 2 controls.
Step Two: Quick Guide For Getting The Computer Installed:
If you bought an X-Arcade with a PC that shipped separately, PLEASE READ THE MANUAL AND BELOW GUIDE BEFORE TURNING ANYTHING ON
The PC and X-Arcade Tankstick are both shipped outside of the Machine, here is how to get things up and running:
NOTE: You will be connecting a total of 4 USB cables to the PC, a power cord, and an audio cable. The Purple and Green connectors on your X-Arcade and inside the machine are not used! If you do not have enough connections on the power outlet you can unplug the fan, it is meant for industrial use (and loud) and not necessary.
Open the front door and place the PC in the bottom-right section of the Machine. Set the X-Arcade Tankstick controller on top of the tray (don't put it in the tray yet), then connect the serial cable (which you will find in the hole behind the tray) to the serial connection on the back of the Tankstick. Next run the long cable on the back of the Tankstick (has a USB and green PS/2 connection) through the hole behind the keyboard drawer (accessed by opening the back panels) down to a USB port on the back of the computer (you do not connect the green PS/2 connection). You can then put the Tankstick into the tray.
Next put the keyboard and mouse in the drawer. Run the USB connections for the keyboard and mouse down to the USB ports on the back of the computer as you did in step 1.
Connect the VGA cable from the Video Game Jockey VGA box (located on the middle shelf of the machine) to the VGA connection on the back of the PC. Also connect the audio cable from the Video Game Jockey to the green audio out connection on the back of the PC. The Mode button on the Video Game Jockey switches the VIDEO AND AUDIO between PlayStation 2 (light is on) and PC (light is off). Since you will most likely only want to use the PC, make sure the Mode button on the Video Game Jockey is out (light off).
The serial switchbox (labeled A/B/C/D) switches the CONTROLS between the PC (switched to A) and the PlayStation 2 (switched to C). Again since you will most likely only want to use the PC make sure the switch is set to A.
Turn on the PC, you will need to wait a few minutes for the PC to boot fully before you will get a picture, at which time the resolution and refresh rates will be adjusted automatically for you. Once fully booted, if you happen to get an 'Over Specification' message, simply hold the player 2 Start button (white with 2 men on it) and press the player 1 Start button (white with one man on it).
After you start up an Arcade game, use the left pinball flipper button on the left side of the X-Arcade™ to insert coins, and press the white start button(s) to play.
Maximus Arcade GUI Button Layout:
|Page Up Letter
|Page Down Letter
||Start 1 or Button 1
|Exit Game (return to Maximus)
||Left Pinball + Start 1 (if it does not go back to the list of game, spin Joy1 and try again.)
|Insert Coins (in game)
||Left Pinball button
|Start Game (after coins inserted)
||Start 1 or Start 2
||There is a volume control in the drawer of the Machine.
||Hold Start 2 + Press Start 1
|Put PC to sleep
||Hold Start 2 + Press Right Pinball
||Hold Start 2 + Press Left Pinball
- To shut down your cabinet, first press (don't hold) the power button on the front of the PC and allow it to shut down properly. Then you can optionally turn it completely off by turning off the switch on the back of the cabinet.
- If you wish to use the PlayStation 2 console (select models only), push the Mode button on the Video Game Jockey so the light is on, and set the serial switchbox to C.
- For any games that say "Reset to Factory Defaults" or similar, simply hit the F2 button on your keyboard. You will only have to do this once.
- MANUAL GAME CONTROLS CONFIG: You can change the controls for any game by simply pushing the "Tab" key while a game is already running to access the controls menu. The Input (this game) overrides the general input settings and adds custom controller settings for just the game being used. Input (general) option allows controller settings to be applied to all games (not recommended).
- For Mortal Kombat games, the - and = keys can be used to raise or lower the in-game volume.
- Q*Bert is a 4-way game where the joystick was mounted in an X mount. There is no way in MAME to make a diagonal (in other words 2 keys pressed at once) to be a direction to compensate. So to play it you will want play it with that in mind, Up=up-right, Down=down-left, Left=up-left, and Right=down-right.
Using With MAME™
Please make sure you read the MAME license and MAME ROM legality, we cannot provide any advice on legality of roms, nor any assistance on how/where to download MAME ROMS. Please do not ask any questions about where/how to download MAME ROMS!
NOTE: We are not responsible for any changes made to your PC settings. We do not recommend going into the operating system unless you are certain you know what you are doing. To exit Maximus to Windows, on the keyboard hold Right Ctrl and press Q. (Alternatively, you can press Ctrl+Alt+Del simultaneously to open Task Manager, and choose End Task on Maximus.exe. Next press the More button and Choose File>Run, then type in "explorer" without the quotes and hit enter.) You will find a Desktop icon in the Metro screen (top-left).
New game ROMs can be put in the "PUT MAME ROMS HERE!" folder found on your desktop (do not extract the .zip files). If you add new ROM files to the roms folder, you will need to tell Maximus Arcade to Refresh the Game List. To do this, Open Preferences (Use the keyboard's RIGHT-SIDE CONTROL KEY (NOT LEFT) CONTROL+P while in the front end, or the Preferences link found at C:\MAX 2.10\Frontend) and choose the Configuration tab. Next to "Configuration for" choose the emulator you want to look for new roms in (example MAME) from the drop-down list. Next click on the "Scan" tab at the bottom, and put a check next to "Force rescan of media folder". Close preferences, your screen may be blank for a few minutes while it is updating. If your ROMs don't appear or don't work see our ROMS page.
- If you exit a game and it does not go back to the list of games, simply spin the player 1 joystick in a full circle and try the escape command again (Start 1 + Left Pinball). This can be fixed by turning NumLock off on your keyboard. If your keyboard does not have a NumLock key, open "On-Screen Keyboard" in Windows and turn NumLock off in it.
- If the game is being cut off at the top or bottom of the screen, simply use the monitor controls to adjust the screen size. The PCB for adjusting the monitor controls can be found in the keyboard/mouse drawer and it works like adjusting any PC monitor.
If you are having any focus or color issue with your monitor, try the tips shown here, here is a picture of focus control.
Video Game Jockey VGA box basic usage: The Mode button switches the video and sound between the console and the PC. When the light is on it is in console mode, off is PC mode. The S/C button changes between s-video and composite video, this should be set to s-video (button popped out)
Over Specification Message
IMPORTANT: When you first turn on the PC you may not have a picture for a few minutes. DO NOT power it off or hold the power button to shut it off during this process as it may be installing updates.
First, make sure all cables are connected properly from computer to the Video Game Jockey VGA IN, and from the Video Game Jockey OUT to the monitor, and you are getting power to the monitor. The Mode button on the Video Game Jockey switches the video and sound between the console and the PC. When the light is on it is in console mode, off is PC mode.
Once fully booted, ff you happen to get a message saying Over Specification, simply press Hold Start 2 + Press Start 1 to refresh the video (you may have to do this a couple of times).
Please note: If using X-Arcade Embedded Computer, each time you boot up you will have a blank screen or Out Of Specification message until the PC fully boots. This may take a few minutes, so please let it boot completely. It you are getting the Over Specification message for an extended period of time from your computer, it just means you turned off/restarted Windows while it was booting up, so it has returned to a higher resolution recovery mode. All you need to do is get into Windows and do a restart so it returns to the default lower-resolution 800x600 mode.
Follow these steps:
- Check that the Video Game Jockey (Black Box Beside PS2) is in the proper mode; Mode button in is for Console Mode (LED is lit), mode button out is for PC Mode (LED is off).
- Check that the VGA adapter's S/C switch is properly set for Playstation 2 use: We recommend you set it out (S-Video mode) for the best picture quality.
- Console only - Make sure that the S-Video jack coming from the console is firmly connected between the console and the S-In jack on the VGA box.
- PC only - Make sure the VGA cable is connected between the PC's VGA out and the Video Game Jockey's VGA In. Also make sure that the monitor is firmly connected to the Monitor jack on the Video Game Jockey.